• 2002-Present- DMPS Orchestra Director
• 1999-2002- Urbandale School District, Orchestra Director
• Morningside College – Bachelors of Music Education, Cello
• Los Angeles County High School for the Arts- Jazz Performance & Composition, Cello
Family / Hobbies
My husband Jaime and I have three kids, Conner, Isabel and Aydan. My oldest graduated from Hoover High School in 2013 and my younger two went to the Downtown School and then Merrill until we moved out of the district. I spend my free time playing cello in multiple venues around town and in the studio.
Cathy Kearney is from Northwest Iowa and is an alumnus of Drake University. She teaches band in ten Des Moines Schools including here at King. Her main instrument is clarinet, but a fun part of her job is that she gets to play so many different instruments. They are ALL fun.
Cathy’s husband Pat is the TLC grant coordinator for the Johnston Community School District. They have one son, Brogan, who is studying music education at Drake University. They also love their rescue dogs, Billie and Mora.
• University of Northern Iowa – Bachelor’s Degree in Art Education
• King Elementary – Art
• I recently moved to downtown Des Moines from Cedar Falls, Iowa. I enjoy spending my free time exploring the Des Moines area, shopping at Target, and hiking with my dog, Fly.