Education: University of Iowa- Bachelors Degree in Social Work
Mercy College of Health Sciences- Associate of Science in Nursing (RN)
Nursing Experience: Mercy Hospital- 1 year on a cardiac and respiratory floor
Mercy Hospital- 4.5 years in the Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU)
Family/Hobbies: My husband and I live in Urbandale with our son, Chase and dog Peaches. We like to spend time with extended family, find new walking/hiking trails to try and watch our niece and nephew’s sporting activities!
Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education, Endorsements in English Language Learners (ELL) and Reading
2018-19- Wright Elementary- .5 ELL teacher
2018-19- King Elementary- .5 ELL teacher
I am an Iowa native, having lived in the state my whole life. I currently live in West Des Moines and enjoy going to the movie theater and hanging out at home.
• 2015-Present Special Education Consultant DMPS
• 2011-2015 Special Education Teacher DMPS
• 2009-2011 Preschool Teacher Storm Lake
• 1998-2009 Paraprofessional Cherokee
• Morningside College – Special Education Consultant Endorsement
• Graceland University – Masters in Differentiated Instruction and Assessments
• William Penn University – Bachelors in Education with an emphasis in special education and English Language Learners
Education: BA Elementary Education from University of Northern Iowa
Teaching Experience: Otero Elementary, Colorado Springs, CO- 1 year in 1st grade, Academy 360 Charter School, Denver, CO- 3 years in 3rd Grade
Family/Hobbies: My husband Michael and I just moved back to Iowa from Colorado after 4 amazing years and are excited to see what Des Moines has to offer! We have one dog named Scout and love doing just about anything outside. I love rock climbing, playing tennis, and being in the mountains.
Teaching Experience – All teaching Special Education
1988 -1996 Colfax-Mingo
1996 – 1998 – Center Elementary School , Kansas City , Mo
1998 – 2003 – Saydel School District
2003 – 2011 – Southeast Polk School District
2011 – Current – Des Moines Public Schools
Simpson College – B.A Elementary Education
Drake University – Special Education Endorsement – MD, Multi-Cat, K-8 Behavior Disorders, K-8 Instructional Strategist I
I live in Urbandale. I have two Daughters. Shelby who is a nurse in Houston, Tx and Kali who is a Senior at Urbandale High. I enjoy spending time with my family! I also enjoy working out daily.
- University of Northern Iowa – Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education, Specialization in Social Studies
- King Elementary – Kindergarten since 2012
- I am married and have five kids. I also have several fur babies. I love to spend time with my family. I love to travel and gardening. My latest project is restoring a ’49 Ford Pickup with my dad.
Graduated Ankeny High School in 1986. Got my Physical Education degree from Iowa State 1991. Received my Masters in Administration from Prairie View A&M University in 1996 in Texas.
Taught Elem PE Lamar CISD, Rosenberg, TX 1991-1994. Taught MS PE at Hodges Bend MS in Fort Bend ISD 1994-1997. Taught Elem PE in OverlandPark, KS Blue Valley Schools 1997-2001. Taught HS PE/Health Blue Valley North HS 2001-2002.
Played football Iowa State University 1987-1990, 4 year lettermen.
Coached MS football, basketball, track 1991-1997 Lamar CISD, Fort Bend ISD.
Coached Varsity Football, Basketball, Softball Blue Valley North HS 1997-2002.
2002-2015; worked in personnel department for the New York Jets.
2017, taught Health, FACS 2 Baxter MS/HS. Coached MS boys basketball.
Presently coaching Varsity football and Frosh track for Ankeny Hawks.
Married to my wife Amy for 27 years, she teaches 4th grade in Ankeny. We have 3 kids, Jordan our oldest son is 24, currently a pilot for SkyWest Airlines. Our daughter, Ashlynn, is 22, just graduated from University of Iowa, is currently working in the Univ. of Iowa Athletics department. Our youngest son, is 16, a sophomore at Ankeny High School.
• Iowa State University – Elementary Education with Special Education Strategist I endorsement
• Morningside College – Reading Endorsement
• University of Northern Iowa – Special Education Strategist II endorsement
• 2014-2018: Capitol View Elementary – Special Education Teacher
• Present: King Elementary – Special Education Teacher
• I live in Des Moines and enjoy doing everything Des Moines has to offer! You will find me outside in the summers biking, camping, or hiking. I am looking forward to my first year here at King Elementary!
• University of WI, River Falls: Bachelors Degree in Elementary Education with an endorsement for English Language instruction
• Jefferson Community School, Minneapolis Public Schools: 5th Grade Teacher 2015-2018
• King Elementary: 5th Grade Teacher
• My husband and I recently moved to Iowa from Minnesota. We are excited to be here! We live with our dog, Fern, and our cat, Lena. I love to go camping, read, travel, and eat good food!
• 2002-Present- DMPS Orchestra Director
• 1999-2002- Urbandale School District, Orchestra Director
• Morningside College – Bachelors of Music Education, Cello
• Los Angeles County High School for the Arts- Jazz Performance & Composition, Cello
Family / Hobbies
My husband Jaime and I have three kids, Conner, Isabel and Aydan. My oldest graduated from Hoover High School in 2013 and my younger two went to the Downtown School and then Merrill until we moved out of the district. I spend my free time playing cello in multiple venues around town and in the studio.
I started working part time at Monroe Elementary in 1991 and in 1995 I became a full time Special Ed Associate. I worked at Monroe Elem for 13 years and the past 14 years I’ve been here at King Elementary.
I live in Des Moines with my husband and two dogs Sadina & MiMi. I love spending time with family & weekends are spent with my grandkids. I enjoy going on walks, and shopping.
Emporia State University
William Penn University
University of Northern Iowa
2018-Present 3rd Grade at King Elementary School
2017-2018 4th Grade at Moore Elementary School
2017-2015 Intensive English Language Center
2015-2012 1st Grade at Edmunds Elementary
2009-2012 ELL at Edmunds Elementary
My family loves being outside. We enjoy running, biking and hiking whenever we get the chance. It is also common to find us at the library because we love to read. It’s not uncommon that we’ll read over 20 children’s books a week to my kids! We also love our two dogs, Frank and Max. They are pretty wild!
- University of Iowa – Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education, specialization in reading and language arts
- Drake University – Master’s Degree in Urban Education, in progress
- King Elementary – K-3 Support 2013-2014
- King Elementary – Fourth Grade 2014-2017
- King Elementary – Second grade since 2017
- I have two cats named Taylor and Richard. I love watching my sisters play softball and cheering on the Iowa Hawkeyes!
Master of Music Education – University of Southern Mississippi
Bachelor of Music Education – University of Northern Iowa
King Elementary Music 2018-2019
Lakewood Elementary Music 2016-2018
Seattle Public Schools, Elementary Band & Strings 2015-2016
Williamsburg Band 7th-12th Grades 2012-2015
Collegiate Teaching @ Southern Miss 2010-2012
West Central Valley Bands 5th-12th Grades 2008-2009
Family & Hobbies
I play instruments and sing every day, not just at school. My main instruments are drumset, piano, and guitar. I do play all of the band instruments. I enjoy spending time with my partner Jeanina and my ornery old dog Spaghetti. I grew up in Des Moines and my parents, my brother, and his family also live here. My sister just got married in August and lives in Nevada – I performed the wedding! I’m ordained online and have officiated three weddings. My favorite movie is Ghostbusters and I like to put up Ghostbusters stuff in my classroom.
Cathy Kearney is from Northwest Iowa and is an alumnus of Drake University. She teaches band in ten Des Moines Schools including here at King. Her main instrument is clarinet, but a fun part of her job is that she gets to play so many different instruments. They are ALL fun.
Cathy’s husband Pat is the TLC grant coordinator for the Johnston Community School District. They have one son, Brogan, who is studying music education at Drake University. They also love their rescue dogs, Billie and Mora.
● Masters in Culturally Responsive Leadership & Instruction – December 2018
● Literacy Specialist – December 2018
Upper Iowa University
● Elementary Education Degree – May 2013
● K-8 Reading Endorsement – May 2013
I have taught at King Elementary since August of 2013. I have taught either 2nd or 3rd grade each year. These are my favorite two grades because I LOVE helping students become deep thinkers and fluent readers! I feel fortunate to work with the awesome students and staff at King. Go King Koalas!
My husband Brent and I have three children, Isla, Sayer, and Lachlan. We also have one dog, Copper. As a family we enjoy going camping, swimming, and also just relaxing at home. When I have free time I love to read and go to Starbucks. You might also spot me at Target from time to time 🙂
• Iowa State University – Bachelors Degree in Elementary Education, Specialization in English Language Learning
• King Elementary – ELL for half of 2012
• King Elementary – First grade 2012-2017
• King Elementary – Second 2017-2018
• King Elementary – 4th grade 2018-2019
• My husband and I live in Beaverdale with our 2 beautiful daughters, Mia and Shaila, and our super sweet dog, Rampage! My family and I love to go on walks, play outside and watch movies!
- Iowa State University – Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education
- Drake University – Master’s Degree in Effective Teaching and Learning, Reading Specialist
- West Des Moines Schools, first grade for four years
- West Des Moines Schools, fifth grade for one year
- Des Moines Public Schools, district level
- King Elementary, Instructional Coach since 2012
- I live with my husband who also works for Des Moines Public Schools, our son Will who is 1 and our dog Jackson. We enjoy playing at home, going for family walks Des Moines, traveling and eating ice cream. I love spending time with my family and also love spending time at King Elementary with our fantastic students, teachers and staff.
• University of Northern Iowa – Bachelor’s Degree in Art Education
• King Elementary – Art
• I recently moved to downtown Des Moines from Cedar Falls, Iowa. I enjoy spending my free time exploring the Des Moines area, shopping at Target, and hiking with my dog, Fly.
Drake University-2009 English and Secondary Education with an extra endorsement in Reading
Drake University-2015 K-12 School Counseling
Teaching experience (Des Moines)
2012-2013 DMAP-Des Moines Alternative Program 6-8 grade Language Arts
2013-2015 Hiatt Middle School 7th grade Language Arts
2015-2016 Lincoln High School 9th grade English
2016-2018 East High School
2018 King Elementary
I live in Des Moines with my 3 kids who are in 5, 4, and 2nd grade and our dog named Sawyer. In my free time, I enjoy reading, spending time with family and friends, going on hikes, and watching movies.
- Grand View University – Bachelor’s degree in Organizational and Technical Studies, Certification in Sports Management
- Upper Iowa University – Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education, specialization in reading and coaching
- King Elementary – Second and Third grade 2013-2017
- King Elementary – Fourth grade since 2017
- I am married and have three kids; Addison, Jacie and Camden. We also have a dog named Rollie and two goldfish. We enjoy being outside, exercising and watching movies together.
- Upper Iowa University – Bachelor’s Degree, Specialization in Language Arts and Reading
- William Penn University – English Learners Endorsement
- Morningside – Master’s Degree in Progress
- McKinley Elementary – Reading specialist for two years
- Monroe Elementary – Second grade for seven years
- Monroe Elementary – Fifth grade language arts for one year
- Monroe Elementary – First grade for one year
- Monroe Elementary – Kindergarten for one year
- Monroe Elementary – Math/reading specialist for two years
- King Elementary – Second grade 2015-2016
- King Elementary – Third grade since 2016
- I love to read in my free time. I also have an adorable niece that I love to spend time with.
Simpson College, Indianola, IA. Bachelors Degree in Elementary Education, Early Childhood Endorsement, Reading Endorsement, Coaching Endorsement.
1999-2017 1st grade teacher Norwalk Elementary
2017-present King Elementary Interventionist
I live in Indianola, Ia. with my husband and my 3 boys. Two are in high school and I have 1 boy in elementary. We love to spend time together and my husband and I enjoy watching my boys play sports.
• Upper Iowa University – Elementary Education, Reading Endorsement, Strategist 1 & 2 and Alternate Assessment
• 2008-2014 Smouse Opportunity School – K-7 Strat. 2 Behavior
• 2014-Present King Elementary – Intervention, Special Education, Strat. 2 Behavior, Alternate Assessment
I have 3 amazing children; Colton attends Iowa State University for Electrical Engineering, Dawson is a junior in High School, Kaitlyn is a sophomore in High School. In my free time I enjoy doing anything with my children, I also shoot bow, enjoy bike riding, working out and spending time with my friends. I also work 2 part time jobs.
-Iowa State University – Bachelors Degree in Elementary Education, specialization in math
-King Elementary – Second and Third Grade 2015-2017
-King Elementary – First Grade Since Fall 2017
-My husband and I live in Bondurant. We have one son, Kolynn and two dogs, Simba and Remi. We love to play outside, watch movies, and play games.
- Iowa State University – Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education, specialization in Social Studies
- Iowa State University – Master’s work in curriculum and instruction
- Collins-Maxwell Middle School – Special education for one year
- Collins-Maxwell Elementary – Special education for two years
- Collins-Maxwell Elementary – First grade, seven years
- King Elementary – Instructional Coach since 2014
- My husband Jeremy and I live in Ankeny with our two children; Kaylie (6) and Evan (3). We enjoy playing outside, swimming, reading and watching movies together. In my spare time, I enjoy teaching fitness classes, working out and running half-marathons or marathons.
Brenda Villarreal De Tabora
- Iowa State University – Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education, specialization in ELL
- Willard Elementary – Bilingual Tutor in 2003
- Moore Elementary – ELL Teacher 2003-2005
- Capitol View Elementary – ELL Teacher 2005-2011
- King Elementary – ELL Teacher since 2011
- I enjoy spending time with my two children, Ray and Natalie and my boyfriend, Noel. Ray is a first year student at DMACC and loves to go to the gym. Natalie is in first grade and she loves to read. I love to read, watch movies, listen to music, dance and go jogging.
• Clarke University: Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education
• University of Northern Iowa: Masters in Curriculum and Instruction in Early Childhood Education
• Endorsements: K-8 Social Studies, K-8 Reading, K-12 English as a Second Language, PK-K Teacher, 5-8 Middle School Generalist, PK-12 Talented and Gifted, and K-12 Athletic Coach
• Holy Family School Pre-Kindergarten Teacher 1996-2007
• Hiatt Middle School Reading and Social Studies Teacher 2007-11
• DMPS Gifted and Talented Consultant 2011 to present
• Spending Time with Family, Friends and Animals
• Traveling Around the World
• Listening and Playing Music